Memories of working with my Dad

So my Dad had his own business when I was growing up. Tuckwell Cable Vision Enterprises. He worked for the British Telecom and left to start his own business. Inspired by a cable television system he installed in our village he set up on his own to bring TV signal to other villages in the highlands.

This was back in the late 70s and many villages did not receive Television signal. Our village North Kessock was no exception shielded from the local transmitter by the hills behind.

Dad came up with a plan to put an Ariel on the hill with good TV signal and through a distribution network of cables and amplifiers pipe the signal down to all the villagers. A lot of work, cables and amplifiers gave North Kessock 3 channels to watch. My claim to fame is pulling the main feed cable under the newly built A9 dual carriageway. A small child size pipe  carried the Drumsmittal burn under the road. A lot of head scratching on how to get the cable to the other side till I piped up “I’ll crawl through it”. Wet and muddy I appeared from the other side triumphant with cable  in hand.

Dad went on to do other systems all over the highlands bringing TV to places that could not get a signal.

Boxes of equipment would arrive at the house all the time. Mainly amplifiers and reels of cable. One package I clearly remember arrived containing what appeared to the giant metal flower petals.

I was set to work with the petals, a bag of nuts and bolts and a spanner. The result was a 1.8 meter diameter satellite dish. Massive by today's Sky and Freesat offerings. We sunk a metal pole in the garden concreted it in and along with a polar mount, a receiver and LNB we were one of the first to have satellite TV. The polar mount had a linear actuator that would rotate the dish and point to different satellites.

This became a new way of bringing TV to remote locations and providing much needed extra channels. One I do remember helping to install was on the roof of a nightclub in Inverness.

The client wanted to play music videos via Music Box, a channel that I think pre dated MTV or was the European version. This was a large parabolic dish made from fibreglass with a copper coating. The focus point for the LNB was towards the bottom rather than in the center.  It looked a bit odd as it stood almost vertical to aim the signal at the LNB.

In addition to TV my dad also specialised in intercom and background music systems. We would travel all over the highlands bringing music to pubs, hotels and supermarkets.

I remember not long after I passed my driving test being sent to Portree on Skye with the mission to install an intercom system in the local supermarket. Having the keys to the van and a tank of diesel gave me new sense of freedom and we were now multitasking. I had a great day spent with a friend driving to Skye and installing the system.  2 core wire to each till and then back to the main back office.

This carried on and when dad went on holiday I spent a few days in the Kingsmills hotel in Inverness. We had wired in a TV system to each room the week before. What was left to do was to add a new TV to each room.  My job was to un box , add a plug (TV's came without a plug), make a coax lead add batteries to the remote and tune in over 60 TV's before carrying them to each each room and testing. It was a great little job and I was a dab hand at manually tuning in the 4 channels by the time I finished.

When I went off to university in Aberdeen I would carry on helping out Dad during the holidays. Although one job I remember doing during term time. Dad had won the job to put Tv signal to each unit in the new Bon Accord shopping center. Dad brought down all the bits needed including lots of cable drums, plans and explained what needed done. Myself and some University friends made quick work of running in all the cables and getting the system ready for my Dad to come back and commission it before handing it over. We were under strict instruction not to crawl along the cable trays hanging from the ceiling. Instead use the scaffold trolley climbing up and down and moving a couple of meters at a time.  This was soon abandoned in favour of crawling in the cable trays. As it was the weekend there were few people working on site and we were skinny students.  It was a great couple of weekends spent working with my friends and sharing how I worked with my Dad, They were happy for the experience and the additional beer money.

I did help out Dad with other jobs on and off after I graduated up till he retired a few years ago. It was good fun and he loved his job, he got to travel all over the highlands and islands and met so many interesting people.

Looking back I am glad I had the opportunity to work with him. At the time I probably did not appreciate it enough having other plans for my working life.  I realise now loving your job is something to aspire for.

Anyway Dad wrote a book about his experiences.  Its full of pictures and stories of all the places he worked, so if you want to know more check out his book here.  A massive fanfare goes off back in North Kessock every time a copy of his book is sold.

I have had some positive comments about my ramblings this week and I really appreciate it.  I started this blog as part of my CodeClan Journey and now that has finished for some reason I feel the need to keep it going.  I really enjoy spending the week planning and thinking of something (this week especially) to write about so Im keeping going.  Thanks for reading and your support. Big Thumbs up!

Write a comment

Comments: 14
  • #1

asd (Monday, 29 October 2018 07:30)

Hey – decent blog, just looking around plenty of blogs, seems a really nice platform you are using. I’m currently using WordPress for some of my sites but looking to change one amongst these over to a platform similar to yours as a trial run. Anything in particular you’ll recommend about it?
    Spinbot

• #2

sad (Monday, 29 October 2018 07:32)

Wow, great stuff. I have been studying this for a few years. I’m glad to hopefully find someone that comes to the same conclusions as me. At least it seems that’s the case. I’ll keep visiting your site to stay informed.
    stunted growth causes

• #3

asd (Monday, 29 October 2018 13:20)

Great write-up, I am regular visitor of one’s blog, maintain up the excellent operate, and It is going to be a regular visitor for a long time.
    cyprus independence day celebration

• #4

asd (Sunday, 04 November 2018 09:07)

Cool stuff you have and you keep redesign every one of us.
    Download PUBG APK FOR PC

• #5

asd (Sunday, 04 November 2018 09:08)

How do I know if a Wordpress theme supports a subscribe option?
    hack bigo live

• #6

sda (Sunday, 04 November 2018 09:10)

Much obliged to you for peopling get the data they require. Incredible stuff not surprisingly. Keep up the considerable work!!!
    yanardag baku

• #7

asd (Sunday, 04 November 2018 09:10)

Very educating story, saved your site for hopes to read more!
    gervonta davis

• #8

asd (Thursday, 08 November 2018 02:17)

And Im running from a standard users account with strict limitations, which I think may be the limiting factor, but Im running the cmd as the system I am currently working on.
    com facebook orca

• #9

Robinjack (Monday, 12 November 2018 07:39)

I admire the valuable information and facts you offer inside your posts. Ill bookmark your weblog and also have my children examine up right here typically. Im fairly positive theyll discover a lot of new things here than anybody else!
    drake net worth

• #10

Pet meaning (Tuesday, 13 November 2018 03:32)

What i don’t understood is in fact how you’re not really a lot more neatly-appreciated than you may be right now. You are very intelligent. You realize thus significantly in relation to this matter, produced me individually believe it from numerous varied angles. Its like men and women don’t seem to be interested until it is something to do with Lady gaga! Your individual stuffs nice. At all times deal with it up!

• #11

Types of business law (Tuesday, 13 November 2018 03:36)

I simply had to say thanks again. I am not sure the things that I could possibly have carried out without these ways shared by you on my area. It was a very daunting dilemma in my view, however , encountering your professional manner you treated that made me to weep for contentment. I am thankful for the help and expect you comprehend what an amazing job that you’re putting in educating many people through a blog. Most likely you haven’t met any of us.

• #12

Amazon books (Tuesday, 13 November 2018 03:43)

Hi there! Would you make use of Facebook? My partner and i’d like to adhere to you in the event it would be alright. My partner and i’m totally enjoying your website and appear to brand new revisions.

• #13

Amazon global store review (Tuesday, 13 November 2018 04:00)

Hello my friend! I wish to say that this post is amazing, nice written and include approximately all significant infos. I’d like to see more posts like this .

• #14

March events in usa (Tuesday, 13 November 2018 04:12)

My spouse and i happen to be actually satisfied which Raymond could handle their inspections via the tips he or she received while using the site. It is now as well as again perplexing to simply offer information that many some other folks have already been marketing. We understand we’ve mcdougal to thank for this. The kind of drawings you get, the simple internet site routing, the romances a person aid to engender ?ê? it really is everything amazing, and it is making our son and also us all feel that this issue is pleasurable, which is incredibly obligatory. Appreciate all!